So the brilliant irony of my life is that after almost 6 years of trying to get pregnant and finally succeeding? Is that I now have to be on birth control. (So I don’t HAVE to be, but let’s be honest, with the way I do pregnancy? It’s better if I don’t do that again anytime soon and celibacy sucks (unless you’re a teenager, than it’s team celibacy all the way!!.))

I’ve never been on birth control for longer than 2 months because it only takes about one month for it to turn me an insufferable human being. So I’m trying some newfangled one that is supposed to keep the crazy lady tendencies to a minimum. I already don’t like it. And I can assure you that 70% of me not liking it is the mental aspect of going from being so mad at my body for not getting pregnant easier to now telling it not to get pregnant on purpose.

Anybody with me on that one?

Comments

1. A sense of humor is priceless. And yay for your need to be on birth control, meaning yay for the pretty perfection that is Miss Vivienne, who will undoubtedly learn much from her big sister Princess Addie, a star in her own right.

2. Michelle says:

“It also gives me headaches. To which Cody replied “Hey! You have a headache? It’s working already!””

My husband’s response to headaches (or pretty much anything) is “Not enough sex!” He claims is the hormone release that comes with the sex that make the headache go away. I think he just wants to be intimate! :)

Casey Reply:

@Michelle, Um, it’s actually true because it releases endorphins, those pesky natural pain killers. But don’t tell him that.

3. I hate birth control too. It’s a lot too personal to explain right here though. But anyhow best of luck to you, maybe this one will work out better for you; hope those headaches go away soon! :)

4. Have you tried using paragaurd? It’s a non hormonal IUD. I’m on it now and not looking back.

5. Cody cracks me up. I am not allowed to use hormonal birth control because they make me crazy and are also bad for my kidneys. Marcus actually calls birth control pills “Hold Me–Don’t Touch Me” pills because of the violent mood swings they give me! When I found out I couldn’t have more kids, I actually found it insulting that I neededed birth control. (For us, it’s only condoms…YUK!) I finally got fed up and got my tubes tied. (Am extremist.) I hope your headaches get better or that you find another method that works for you.

6. hahahahahah Cody.

7. If you’re looking for an alternative, I want to second the suggestion of a Paragaurd. I can’t be on any hormonal birth control due to a blood clotting issue, so this is just about my only option that doesn’t require pre-planning before some *ahem* adult time. I’ve had mine for 3 years and am so pleased with it!

8. I had the Mirena for about 3 years and was in love with it! No remembering to take a pill – no crazy hormones! I tried Nuvaring and hated the insertion process. Plus the hub would try to “get a ringer” while we were getting busy. He’s so mature. :-)

9. If you’re on the Nuvaring, stop taking it and do some research. There are some legitimately messed up side effects. I won’t preach on it, but I have relatives who’s lives are ruined because of it.

At least take the time to dig into some of your own research before just trusting whatever your doctor prescribed. And if you ever get the serious symptoms, just find something else. And sorry if you’re not even using Nuvaring.

10. Yeah, I was on for about two weeks before my husband begged me to stop, he’d rather we get pregnant and have ten months of hades again than have the wife and mother I was on the pill.

I had the mental aspect of it too; if I can’t get pregnant WITH drugs trying to knock me up, why on earth was I torturing myself taking something that my body was already doing on its own?

I’m a brat though. I hated the junk.

11. I hate being on the pill. It turns me into psycho drama queen who’s only happy if she is sleeping.

What I really want? Uterine ablation. Stops my period. Stops pregnancy.

12. The first few months are the worst whether going on them or off them (hormones that is).

I however MISS my birth control pills, cause I’m a crazy lady without them…. then add fertility drugs into the mix… AHH! I don’t even like being me in my own head.

I hope the headaches goes away, and you find something that works for you. If I’ve learned anything its that you do have to give change a while to see if it works.

13. Meaghan says:

I third the Paraguard option. I went on the Mirena after our second and the minute amount of hormones turned me into a crazy person. This was after begging my doc for the copper iud and being told that the hormones were localized (but they travel! That’s the point!).

I’ve had many problems with hormone levels and any hormonal birth control messes me up.

I’m so sorry that BCP make you crazy. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you that these will work and without big side effects. I’ve been taking the pill since I was 18 first on Demulen 135 and the last few years on Seasonale. I have great success and will try sending my good BCP vibes that way!

15. Ha!! That Cody is a funny guy. Hopefully in two months you still find him funny. :)

16. I remember I was on birth control the first two months of our marriage. In that time I managed to have an emotional breakdown at a bus stop, throw a basket of socks at my husband, lock myself repeatedly in the bathroom, and threaten to throw his comic book collection over the balcony.

I couldn’t stop him from flushing those bad boys down the crapper even if I tried.

17. Candace says:

NuvaRing made me get headaches, too. Can’t take hormonal stuff now, since I now have a history of blood clots, but decided to forgo the hormonal stuff a while ago. I decided my body did a grand job of having screwy hormones all by it’s dang self and decided not to mess. So…condoms it is!

18. You should just stick to the free apps on the internet for family planning. they work awesome.

19. Vcf… Vaginal contraceptive films. When I think of the time I wasted not getting pregnant… It makes a fellow va-jay-jay hurt for you. ;) Seriously, though, I liked the films (think Tylenol meltaways for your lady bits) 200x better than hormone pills.

Good luck!

20. do tell which one it is. I just got thrown head first into a depressive episode within 4 weeks of taking new birth control pills. I obviously had to stop and I’m really worried about baby #3 here (husband is even more worried). But with my mood disorder I cannot risk taking those pills.

So now my options are condoms or celibacy or vasectomy, which I’m just really not 100% on being done making the babies yet. What to do. What to do?

21. Yeah…good luck on the Nuvaring if that’s what you have. I ended up having to have my Nuvaring surgically removed from my bladder (long long story…and unfortunately it has happened to other people too) and BC pills are out of the question because they do screwy things to my blood pressure. I second whomever suggested the natural family planning (that and/or condoms) is what we have to do in our house and because apparently my body is just all out to get me, it has to be the latex free condoms because, yeah totally allergic to latex as well–I rock!!
    I’ve heard for years about the possibility of a male birth control pill–if men’s systems are so much simpler than women’s, isn’t it about time for something like that? It would make everything so much simpler!!

22. Before I reverted to Catholicism (I had a 14 year hiatus in there) I was on birth control after my second son. It took surgery to get pregnant with my first two kids. I was breastfeeding and on the pill when Ellie decided to show up. I was pretty sure I heard God chuckling.

23. I have Minera and love it. I hated all the pills I tried (and there were several). The IUD has been much better for my sanity and I don’t have to worry about forgetting a pill.

24. I’ve just realised, I’ve never been on it. How did I get so lucky? I hope it all works out for you without too many headaches.

25. Kathy K. says:

I am with you on “Team Hormonal Birth Control Makes Me an Insufferable Human Being.” I hope the headaches get better.

26. I’m currently also in a Grumpy Battle with my birth control pill. Not the irony situation you have, but just a general Hatred. I’m basically having my period every other week and this has been happening since March. IT IS GRAND, I TELL YOU. I’m giving it 2 more months and if it doesn’t stop, we’re trying something else. Even if it involves scissors and my husbands boy bits. ha.

Hope the headaches ease :(

27. Mirena made me crazy and evil. It was the worst 8 months of my life (and my family’s) and no insurance, so… we’re stuck with barrier methods. Can’t wait until we’re employed and in the black again so we can do the snip. But I think I’ll cry… even though he’s right he probably wouldn’t survive having another baby in the house (he’s 10 years older than I am, had two daughters coming into our marriage and hooboy…. just… no) … MOAR BAYBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE wahhh.

Also – Moosh’s knees in the toddler pix of your father’s day post made me MELT.

28. Well now I’m just curious about what this “newfangled” birth control is.

29. I vote no birth control!

30. Just adding another resounding member to Team “I hate birth control hormones” – was on the pill (various brands) for years and years, finally quit in September and have been SO much happier. Turns out they do make me a crazy person. So thankful my husband is willing for us to use methods and have a healthy, sane wife instead.

I also had lots of headaches (everybody kept telling me they were “stress” and “sinus” related…) – but guess what, I hardly ever have a headache anymore. So I really do feel for you – here’s hoping the hormones treat you well and the headaches go away too. :-)

31. Heather says:

In college, I used birth control pills for about one month… I had my period for 19 days straight. I thought to myself – I can’t afford the pill AND the tampons. Plus I turned into a raving lunatic (even more so than normal!).

I quit the pills and switched to Ortho Evra – the birth control patch. Honestly, it is the best thing ever. You put a patch on once a week for three weeks, and leave it off for the fourth week. It’s simple – and EASY. There’s no time requirement like there is with the pill, you just have to put a patch on the same day each week. The same day each week? I can remember that! PLUS – NO headaches, no crazy-woman, no issues what-so-ever.

Try it and love it like I did. :)