*cracks knuckles*

Okay Internet, let’s do this.

What I’ve realized is that someday, maybe even today, my girls are going to ask me what I did the day I found out Donald Trump was to become president.

“You want to know what I did? I cleaned the oven door. I looked over a few pins, made my own little door-scrubbing-cocktail and got to work.”

You see, taking control of something small and manageable is a coping mechanism for me. Dealing with the weight of the world? Detail your vacuum!  Can’t trust anyone anymore? Give yourself a pedicure! Worried about the future of everyone who isn’t het-cis-white-male in America? PULL OUT THE MAGIC ERASERS IT’S TIME TO GO TO WORK.

And so I scrubbed. I calmed myself down and reminded myself that no president is going to be directly involved in raising my girls. But *I* will be directly responsible for raising the next generation of female leaders, thinkers, and voters. So I’m going to do just that.

I’m going to teach them that when they go low, we go high.

raising good kiddies

I’m going to teach them that women have been pushing for years on the glass ceiling and it was other nasty women like me who made sure that we were all pushing together for the same thing.

There’s still so much more to this, but for right now, when I found out how wrong things went November 9, 2016, I got to work.

Comments

1. James Carroll says:

Well said

2. Mary Lynn says:

SOOOOO glad you’re back! I’ve missed this!

3. Welcome back love ??

4. hello haha narf says:

struggling to go high. thank you for the reminder.
    love to you.
    xo

5. Excellent thoughts. Clearing a fence row now. I have acres of leaves to mulch if you want to come help.

6. Today. I volunteered at school. I added extra tears to the kids lunches. I hugged them. I talked with them and I will continue to work. To be the example. And to help them keep their eyes open, their hearts loving, and their spines strong to help carry others when the weight is too much

7. I started by cleaning up dog puke. Gotta’ start somewhere!

8. Susan in Peckham says:

Excellent sentiment!

This isn’t the result I wanted. Its clear a lot of people weren’t happy and wanted a change – I’m certainly terrified of what the change might be….but you’re right, it means getting out there and ensuring we move forward to a place of peace and inclusion (rather than the scary, hateful speech we’ve recently heard). Make positive change!

9. Oddly enough what I did today between working and crying is cleaning. Every time my despair balloon would be refilled I got to work in my house slowly deflating it with every scrub.

10. SOOO Glad you are back! I cleaned my sad away a little bit today too :)

11. I love you.

I’m grieving. I’m very scared. I’m practicing self-care. But it’s almost time to get back to work.

Because things may be bleak, but it’s far from over.

12. Michelle White says:

I was thinking of you the other day. Your girls are growing up beautifully.

And yes, we have the responsibility to raise our children to be honest, upstanding, living adults who stand for justice, but show Grace and mercy when needed.

13. Welcome (back) home!

14. I scrubbed the grout in my laundry room with a literal toothbrush.

More work to do, obviously (both with the rest of the grout in my house and also my relationship to the rest of the world), but it did feel good to start.

xox

15. I’m raising a het(currently) cis white male. We’re having the hard talks every day, we’re reading diversely and about the real history of this country, we’re adding our voices to those that speak love and equality, we’re amplifying the voices of people of color, of disabled people, of LBGTQ+ people, of non-Christian religious people. It doesn’t feel like much, but it’s what we’ve got right now.

We’re also taking comfort in all the voices we hear clamoring for equality, peace and justice. Together we’re stronger.

16. IN all honesty I voted for trump.and I’m spanish! I was so on the fence with this one, but then i am a firm believer that people can change, and do better. That is my hope for america, and for my kids. I couldn’t not vote, and after much thought and prayer my heart went straight to trump. Hopefully everyone can get over this election, and move on. Love and not hate. Lets just hope our new president will step up to the plate and make america a little better! After all…it is us who is raising our kids, not the president. Even if Hillary won…she’s not there to raise my girls, or son. Life goes on….

Love you Casey!